Monday, July 14, 2014

My first experience with SEC Media Days

Coaches and players from all 14 SEC teams converge on the Hyatt Regency-Birmingham for SEC Media Days.



HOOVER | I reluctantly rolled out of bed at my Tuscaloosa apartment Monday morning to prepare
myself for a trip up the road to Hoover, Ala.  I ate a bowl of corn flakes, gathered my things and made a 45-minute trip to the Hyatt-Birmingham to experience my first-ever SEC Media Days conference.

My affiliation with The Tuscaloosa News got me media credentials for the event. My job at Media Days on Monday was to take down interesting quotes from coaches, players and media, as well as write a short story on what Florida coach Will Muschamp had to say about the upcoming season.

As I walked up to the front entrance of the massive hotel, I noticed many Alabama news vehicles parked out front. A few that caught my eye were some of the Alabama news channels I was familiar with, like Huntsville's WHNT 19 and WAFF 48, and of course, Birmingham stations like WIAT 42 and Fox 6 News.

To get my credentials I had to walk through what is known as "radio row," a row of tables down each side of a hallway lined with numerous radio stations and radio personalities eager to get a word with coaches and players. 

After collecting my media pass and complementary SEC football pamphlets, I made my way to the main media room on the second floor. Once in the room, I looked around the room for a few of my fellow TNews members, but it was to no avail. The room was quickly beginning to fill up and I needed to find an open seat, preferably one near an electrical outlet for my laptop. 

During a brief trip to the restroom, I saw SEC radio personality Paul Finebaum sitting on the ESPN set, in the middle of filming a live shot. Unfortunately, that was the only chance I got to see Finebaum. I really wanted to say hello.

The news conferences began with SEC Commissioner Mike Slive at 11:30 a.m. He spoke for about 25  minutes about the State of the SEC and gave a few details on the new SEC Network, which will premiere in August.

Auburn's Gus Malzahn was up next at noon, where he addressed the latest hot-button issue coming out of Tiger Nation, quarterback Nick Marshall's recent marijuana incident. Malzahn also shared his thoughts on the death of former Auburn tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen. 

Florida head coach Will Muschamp stepped to the podium around 2:45 p.m.. He addressed his job status, players returning from injury and new offensive coordinator Kurt Roper and the impact he will have on quarterback Jeff Driskol.

Around 4 p.m., Vanderbilt's new head coach Derek Mason made his appearance at the mic. He gave long answers to every question. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying it's something I noticed with him more than with the other coaches. Mason spoke about his coaching philosophy and expectations in his first season as a coach in the SEC.

Vanderbilt wrapped up things around 5 p.m., then I packed up my things into my laptop bag and drove back to Tuscaloosa, thus ending my first SEC Media Days experience.

I had a great time overall and it was great to get that professional experience at such a major media event. I'll be back in Hoover again Thursday for Alabama and Kentucky's press conferences.

Maybe this time I'll get to shake hands with Mr. Finebaum.










No comments:

Post a Comment